Increase Your Vocabulary: How To Appreciate Art As a Christian


Let's talk about language. "Language?" you say. "I thought this was about drumming!" Yeah. Just stick with me. What's great about music is that it's so similar to a language. In most languages you have actually more than one vocabulary; you have one for listening, one for speaking, one for reading, and one for writing. Let that sink in. Isn't that just crazy how you can understand certain words when someone else uses them but not so much when you use them yourself? Or I've found myself speaking words I don't even know how to spell. (I'm referring to the word "pristine") I bet if you start looking for it, you'll notice differences in your vocabularies. Anyway...

Musicians don't just play music; they listen to it, too. Listening to music can give you ideas about sounds, rhythms, general vibes, emotions, drum fills, instrumentation, taste, melodies, chord progressions etc. The list is practically endless here. You can learn "phrases" or "words" by listening to others! Granted, just like any other language, having a similar context is very important for those ideas to translate well. If this "context" idea is interesting to you, I reference it more in my first blog post about Why The Recording Is Wrong, and this one about drum fills. But my point is: listening to music is an important thing to do if you want to grow in your musicianship.

I think some people can get too particular with which artists they listen to. For example, one may think, "I want to listen to only Christian artists because I don't want to listen to anything that hinders my faith or I don't want to support secular artists, or" - who knows why. Well guess what? You can appreciate art even if the artist isn't a Christian. I will teach you how right here, right now!

There are 4 questions to ask yourself to appreciate any art, not just music, from a Christian's perspective:

1) What is good/What do you like? 
2) What is the main message?
3) What does the Bible say about that message?
4) What do you need to be careful about?/What do you not care for?

The order is important. Instead of complaining about the artists religious beliefs first, let's look at what they did well and learn from that. Then you can compare what the song is about with what the Bible teaches. You might be surprised to find that there are plenty of songs by secular artists that agree with the Bible. Then at the very end, you can share your reservations.

Just because you're a Christian, doesn't mean you have to live in a Christian bubble where you listen to only Christian music. In fact, I'd like to argue that no art is Christian. It's really a matter of the heart behind it, kind of like language. Jon Foreman of Switchfoot has this to say about Christian music:

"None of these songs has been born again, and to that end there is no such thing as Christian music. No. Christ didn’t come and die for my songs, he came for me. Yes. My songs are a part of my life. But judging from scripture I can only conclude that our God is much more interested in how I treat the poor and the broken and the hungry than the personal pronouns I use when I sing. I am a believer. Many of these songs talk about this belief..."

Music is meant to be heard and experienced by listeners. So do musicians a favor and be a listener. You might even expand your musical vocabulary.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Shield: Drum Shields

Why "The Recording" Is Wrong

The Missing Link: Why

The Gift Of Confidence

My Stick Shtick: Navigating Stick Choice In a Sea Of Sticks